ChosenOfTiamatTarot & You!
Hey there, with the recent advent of Fortuna, and the Fortune Teller subclass, I figured we should have a little thing about the Tarot, and how to do a 'proper reading'. Of course, there are as many ways to do a reading as there are people who give them, so just think of this as inspiration.
What is Tarot?
Tarot is a system of fortune telling using cards to represent concepts and events. Most people are familiar with the named cards of the Major Arcana, such as The Fool, The Wheel of Fortune, The Chariot, The Devil, etc. However, there are also four suits of 'Minor Arcana', reflecting smaller events and lessons. Tarot is told using a 'spread', which is simply a specific way the cards are laid out. 

[Image: the-princess-and-the-frog-facilier.gif]

Spreads

For the purposes of roleplay, unless you really, REALLY want to do an in-depth spread, you can get away with doing a three card spread representing the Past, the Present, and the Future. However, there are many other variations. The Cross includes three additional cards: A card across the present representing the 'Immediate Obstacle', a card above the present representing the person's conscious thoughts/goals/objectives, and a card below the present representing the subconscious... Etc. The 'classic' spread is the Celtic Cross. Ten cards, representing all of the above, and then Advice, Outside Influence, Fears/Hopes, Final Outcome

In general, keeping in mind that the cards are meant to provide advice and a lesson, look for patterns. Notice that the cards keep bringing up a certain theme? They're probably trying to point at something specific.

This is a good resource for spreads, meanings, and more. Helpfully linked to spreads!
Meanings

Here's the complicated part. Major Arcana are fairly obvious (with the exception of Death, which is more of a metaphorical death than a true death... Also a symbol of rebirth!), and have lots of online resources. Minor arcana, though, are much more subtle. Generally, the suits deal with four aspects of our life:

Cups: Emotions and Love
Pentacles: Material Body or Possessions
Wands: Creativity and Will
Swords: The mind. Reason and Intellect.

If you're doing a reading and you get a lot of cards in a specific suit, that tends to be a hint to look deeper. This can inform how you read certain things. A bunch of cups and, for example, The Lovers, can imply that the reading is delving into romantic matters, or at the very least, a strong interpersonal connection with someone. Versus Pentacles and the Lovers would imply something more like a business partner.
The resource listed above is a great tool for meanings of specific cards, but for convenience, click here for a list of the individual meanings of cards. You can also click a specific card for more information.

That's great, but how do I roleplay this out?
First, you'll tend to shuffle the deck, obviously. Some people choose to also have the person they're doing a reading on help shuffle, while thinking of the specific things that they're worried about. Then, you'll lay out the cards in front of you. I tend to do everything face up, myself, as you are able to then take a moment to look at the entire spread and notice patterns: Are there a lot of major arcana? Is one suit prevalent over the others?
Then, you go on to the reading itself. Explain each card to the person, and what it means in relation to where it is in the spread. 'This represents your past: The Three of Wands. Normally, this is a card that represents business, commerce, and discovery.' You can check the person you're being read for their reactions, give them a moment to think on that. Perhaps ask them questions... 'Did you start a new venture before? Something that you feel is affecting your present?' However, in general, giving the person you're reading the ability to interact and help clarify for the spread can give you insight as to what's bothering them, allowing you to better continue the reading.

Tarot is not an exact thing. It is, ultimately, a tool for giving advice. And you should stress that. With the Fortune Teller class, however, you can choose to incorporate that into everything. Using the ability that gives you a boon for a year, you can work that into the reading. 'You have many struggles ahead, but I believe you will have the endurance to see it through', etcetera.

How should I give a reading if I don't have cards?
There's a few ways to do this. Take a normal set of playing cards and you can also do a reading. But you can also use this website to simulate a reading, and a spread. It'll also helpfully tell you the quick and dirty meanings of cards!
I hope this guide gave you a good starting place if you decide to incorporate tarot into your character. I wish you all the best of luck! Enjoy 1.9
Topic Options