"Magic is the song our soul sings to the world. It expresses itself in dazzling flame, howling gusts and the groans of the land." - Aeryn Fleur, Head Priestess of The Faith
The natural phenomena that occurs when mana is shaped and refined, wielded by the Magi of the world. These magi study and practice their magics to cause various effects by casting spells, either for practical reasons - such as the development of technologies through artificing - or for combative purposes.
- 1 Four Pillars of Magic
- 2 Workings of Magic
- 3 Magic (OOC)
- 3.1 Primary
- 3.2 Earth
- 3.3 Water
- 3.4 Fire
- 3.5 Air
- 3.6 Holy
- 3.7 Light
- 3.8 Occult
- 3.9 Shadow
- 3.10 Illusion
- 3.11 Cosmic
- 3.12 Energy
- 3.13 Gravity
- 3.14 Time
- 3.15 Armed
- 3.16 Unarmed
Four Pillars of Magic
There are hundreds of types of magics throughout the world, but they can be categorized into the following four. Within these primary forms of magic eixsts many sub-types, some of which are still being discovered to this day.
The four elements that make up the physical universe, such as the oceans, sky, forests, and volcanoes. The building blocks of the world: Fire, Earth, Water, and Air. These are often the most approachable for an apprentice magi due to their primordial aspect.
Magic in an unrefined form, such as the raw, blue energy of mana, or the golden rays of cosmic magic. Unlike elemental magic, rather than taking this innate mana and shaping it, ethereal magi will reinforce it and conjure it as is; this is an especially malleable type of magic in that sense.
All magi are capable of using ethereal magic to some extent, even if it's as simple as causing ripples in the water by generating mana at the fingertip.
The unseen mechanisms of the world, such as gravity, the timestream, or even a person's senses.
Light and dark. Destruction and life. Positive energy and negative energy.
Workings of Magic
Symbolic - Feeling | The Heart
Symbolic magic is the most basic of all casting technique and can be combined with others due to its nature. The style uses emotion to amplify and control magic... such as adrenaline, hatred, and love. To advance beyond beginner level almost all magi will learn a second casting style.
Visionary - Visual | The Eyes
This style has a close relationship with the magical circuit. While all experienced magi can view their circuitry by closing their eyes and concentrating, a visionary caster is able to do so in battle, with their eyes wide open. They use a demanding amount of cognitive energy navigate mana through the many thousands of 'tunnels' in the circuit - linking them up to spell-cast.
Basic spells might involve ten instructions/commands that the caster has to consciously navigate, while advanced ones can require hundreds - the best visionary casters can do so in moments, and it can take several minutes for an inexperienced magi.
Notably, this style of casting causes the irises to glow with mana (in whichever color the irises happen to be). The eyes are, after all, a window to the soul, and by extension they're a gateway to the magical circuit.
Runecasting - Mind | The Temple
The written language of the divine, otherwise known as runes, is the code of all matter and even existence itself. While humanity's overall knowledge in runes is only a small fraction of the overall picture, it is nonetheless a potent tool.
Spell-writing involves the design of battle-runes that can be conjured in battle to cast different abilities, with the mana manifested as spinning discs of magical energy that is typically wielded by the hands. The magi activates the different runes on the spell circles mid-battle, channeling their mana (and the runic instruction) for an effect.
This is for combat only. Other areas of runic expertise involve rituals, enchantments, and most forms of technology.
Wordcasting - Voice | The Throat
The voice is a tool of expression, and can be used to amplify or initiate spells through song and incantation. Mana is carefully channeled through the vocal cords while the magi says their incantation, often giving a synthetic effect as their will and desire is vocalized by the commands they utter.
Conjuring something like a sphere of water, then channeling mana that connects the magi to the liquid - with an empathize on the vocal cords - will 'link' the command they say out-loud. For instance, willing it to spin. The more creative and compelling the incantation, the more the person themselves believes it, the better the outcome, too. This is usually a good fit for charismatic, confident magi, such as performers and singers.
Whether or not someone is capable of harnessing mana, they passively generate magical power as it is required to live. Certain magitech can even take a read on how much of this energy flows through a person, though it's purely a measure of their raw magical potency rather than their overall combat skill. There are five tiers that individuals might be placed under depending on this reading.
- Basic: Minimum of 10 Magic Power.
- Intermediate: Minimum of 50 Magic Power. Above average.
- Master: Minimum of 100 Magic Power. Higher than 90% of Magi.
- Exalted: Minimum of 300 Magic Power. Higher than 99% of Magi.
- Mythic: Minimum of 1000 Magic Power. Among the millions that live in Esshar, there's rarely more than a hundred at a time within this tier.
Quantifying the above would be something like the following, though it naturally varies from person to person as specializations differ. This is meant to act as a rough guide and base line for a character's speed (including reflex) and how much power a charged, concentrated attack delivered by them might pack. Generally speaking if they generate that much force they're also durable enough to defend against similar impact from another person.
- Basic: Avg. sprint of 20MPH, a focused attack generates enough force to crack stone.
- Intermediate: Avg. sprint of 30MPH, a focused attack generates enough force to destroy a wall.
- Master: Avg. sprint of 60MPH, a focused attack generates enough force to destroy a small house.
- Exalted: Avg. sprint of 100MPH, a focused attack generates enough force to destroy a large house.
- Mythic: Avg. sprint of 150MPH, a focused attack generates enough force to destroy a small mountain.
A magi's power scaling can be between two tiers, naturally, rather than one or the other. The attack force is also their standard, focused strike, rather than their absolute limit. It is their baseline.
These techniques, while not considered forbidden necessarily due to their school of magic, but rather the danger they pose to society and the user themselves, are illegal depending on the circumstance under the nation's law. The category is also a factor in assessing the overall threat of a person's magic; someone with a level 5 technique might not be aligned with the dark forces of the world, but have the power and capabilities to single-handedly massacre thousands should they choose to do so.
(OOC Note - If your magic is category 1, you can say that you registered it was registered in the background. It's not something you need to specifically roleplay about, more harmless flavor than anything else. If you're a practitioner of the occult, however, that is something that will come up in-character.)
- Category 1: The user can practice the techniques freely but must register it with their local authorities. Certain abilities that might allow someone to discreetly cause harm or *assassinate a target, such as a powerful blood magic attack or enhanced poison.
- Category 2: They must be granted express permission to use the ability. The dark arts would fall under this as a general rule of thumb.
- Category 3: The potential for destruction is at a level where distant monitoring is necessary unless the individual is trusted. If someone has the capability to destroy a town with their magic, for example, whether it's a poisonous plague or through pure, raw force.
- Category 4: This technique could endanger society as a whole if misused, causing massive amounts of damage.
This is a list of available magic trees and their abilities.
Characters start with these abilities, no RPP cost.
- Strike: A 4 tile range homing dash on a low cooldown.
- Tackle: A linear dash that knocks back on-hit.
- Mana Ripple: A piercing wave of mana that deals medium damage.
- Essence Shroud: Aura, +10% AP.
- Jump: Non-combat ability that lets you 'jump' to the tile you click on.
The role 'medic' grants the following two abilities.
- First Aid: Reduces the remaining time of a temporary injury by 50%
- Surgery: Allows the treatment of a permanent injury so long as a med kit is available.
- Dragonic Slash: Close-ranged physical attack.
- Scales: +30% DR for 7s.
- Dragon Half-Shift: +10% AP, +10% DR.
- Feral Swipes: Close-ranged physical attack.
- Wild Nature: 3s speed boost, followed by 8s of +10% Power.
- Earth Attunement: +5 Vitality. Attunes with the element of earth, granting the character access to Earth abilities and its specializations.
- Earth Bomb: Linear projectile, knockbacks.
- Spikes: A circular AoE.
- Mudslide: A wave that leaves a trail of slowing, sticky mud.
- Rock Wall: A homing spell that knocks the target to you.
- Earthen Shell: Aura, +12% DR.
- Rockslide: An AoE that is cast directly infront, dealing the Mud status effect on-hit.
- Earthquake: Large ranged AoE.
- Great Mudslide: Wider Mudslide.
- Tremor: A larger version of Rockslide, also knockbacks.
- Metal Lance: A piercing projectile that applies a 5s slow.
- Binding Chains: A beam that roots both the target and the caster on-hit.
- Crushing Iron: Four beams that fire in every direction, lingering for a while. The caster can move immediately after using the spell rather than being cast-locked.
- Iron Grip: A homing spell that roots the target on-hit for 3s.
- Golden Bolt: Linear projectile, low cooldown, high damage.
- Binding Desert Burial: An AoE of sand forms in front, rooting anyone caught in it, entrapping them.
- Barrier of Sand: Roots caster and grants invulnerability for 4s while sending out a Golden Bolt in every direction repeatedly.
- Sandstorm: Spawns multiple projectiles throughout the battlefield that move with the caster.
- Reform: Deals 500 self-damage, then heals three times for 5 power.
- Bone Blades: +10% Power for 40s, physical attacks have a 10% chance to deal 3s of Bleed.
- Skeletal Lance: A linear projectile that stuns the target. If Bone Blades is active, fires in every direction.
- Ivory Graveyard: Variant of Tremor.
- Shardshot: A homing that has a 50% chance to spawn a crystal.
- Shimmering Javelin: A linear projectile that deals a stun, unique power up if a crystal is active.
- Crystal Wall: A damaging AoE.
- Formation of Crystals: Spawns five crystals gradually throughout the battlefield, each granting a special effect when formed and the caster 'taps them' by moving over the object. Emerald: heal, ruby: damage, sapphire: cleanse.
- Shardform: While stunned, DR is increased by 25%. +10 vitality, +20 power.
- Crystal Wave: A large AoE that appears directly in front.
- Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald: Aura. Lifesteal, +AP. Chance to send out an additional low damage Shardshot projectile on cast.
- Spores: Multiple homing projectiles that inflict a light slow and linger.
- Ingrain: Applies a large heal, cast locks for 1.5s.
- Nature's Command: Summons three vines.
- Yggdrasil: While near the tree, the caster passively heals.
- Forest Form: Aura. +20 vit, 10% Earth and Bio power.
- Deadly Bloom: A flower that has a short-ranged AoE and gives off a spore projectile occasionally. Can spawn up to three at a time.
- Cruel Thesis: Vines are immortal. Special: A shroud of blue petals that deal rapid damage.
- Spring's Bloom: Vines are immortal. Special: Green flowers bloom around the conjurer.
- Water Attunement: +5 Vit. Grants access to Water Magic and its specializations.
- Bubble Bullets:
- Bubble Blast:
- Water Whip: Stuns in front.
- Water Beam: A beam that stuns and drags.
- Aquatic Aegis: Aura. Passively heals, +15 power / 10 agility.
- Cleanse: Removes all detrimental status effects.
- Mist Form: Become invulnerable temporarily, unable to cast during.
- Flood: A large, healing AoE that damages the enemy.
- Tidal Wave: A large wave attack, stuns and drags.
- Typhoon: A trio of homing typhoons that leave a trail of healing AoE.
- Water Dragon's Roar: A water beam that leaves a trail of healing AoE.
- Water Prison: A massive, damaging AoE that lingers for a while.
- Tsunami: A super-sized variant of Tidal Wave.
- Field of Ice: An AoE that deals the frost status effect.
- Ice Flurry: A flamethrower-style spell that inflicts frost while damaging.
- Ice Spikes: Homing, medium damage.
- Winter's Talons: Spawns multiple objects that deal medium damage and frost if the enemy walks nearby them.
- Absolute Zero: Aura. +20 Power. Special: Inflicts Frostbite.
- Blizzard: An excess of damaging projectiles spawn around the caster, following them.
- Wintermute: A buff that increases ice damage, applies Blizzard on mist form.
- Frost Breath: Deals brief but heavy damage directly infront.
- Winter Crown: All damage inflicts the frost status effect, duration of 15s.
- Scarlet Darts: Linear projectile, inflicts 3s of Bleed on-hit.
- Bonds of Blood: Passive. Heal for half of the damage the Bleed status effect deals.
- Blood Miasma: Multiple damaging projectiles that follow the caster, slowing enemies when damaging.
- Blood Whip: A whip that has a 50% chance to inflict 3s of Bleed.
- Blood Pall: +10 Power / +15 Vitality. +10% AP while the target bleeds.
- Hemmorhage: 5s of Bleed and Slow, homing. Medium damage.
- Eyes of The Blood Moon: ???
A focus on cutting lashes, advancing the staple 'water whip' into its own brand of punishment. This highly aggressive magic branches off from the balance that Water magi typically maintain; along with the natural fluid, flowing movements, each strike of the body is pointed and certain, harnessing the versatile element like they're shapeshifting blades.
- Umbre Javelin: A javelin that stuns and drags.
- Despairing Tendrils: A 3x3 'whip', heals for half the damage.
- Ocean's Fury: Aura. +15% AP, -5% DR. Small chance to inflict lifesteal on Water damage.
- Ring of Malice: Multiple homing projectiles.
- Fire Attunement: +5 Pow. Grants access to Fire Magic and its specializations.
- Fireball: Linear projectile, 50% chance to inflict Burn.
- FIre Stream: A flamethrower that's sustained in front.
- Blazing Wave: A wave that leaves a trail of damaging fire tiles.
- Overheat: Homing, damaging slow.
- Flame Shroud: Aura. +25 Power, trail of fire on dash.
- Flameslide: A high damage dash that leaves a trail of fire.
- Scorch: A large AoE.
- Great Fire Wave: Wider version of Blazing Wave.
- Sear: A charged blast that homes in, stunning and dragging.
- Supreme Fire Wave: Massive version of Great Fire Wave.
- Super Nova: Aura. 3x3 fire AoE follows caster, +10% Power.
- Bang: Homing AoE, high initial damage followed by light lingering damage.
- Inferno: An instant AoE that confuses enemies.
- Pyroclasm: An instant AoE that stuns enemies.
- Blast Rush: A wide wave that deals high initial damage followed by the Burn status effect. Knocks the target back 6 tiles.
- Magma Slide: A wave that applies the 'mud' status effect, leaves an AoE of lava.
- Lava Pool: AoE that spawns around the caster.
- Volcanic Barrier: Immunity to damage, unable to cast. Lava AoE appears around you,
- Molten Shell: Aura. +8% DR, +15 Power. Trail of lava on dash.
- Volcanic Eruption: Spawns multiple lava AoE at random while the volcano deals passive damage.
- Plasma Overcharge: Fire and Lightning power increased by 15% for 10s.
- Plasma Shroud: Aura. +10% AP, +20 crit. Plasma trail while moving.
- Tesla: A high damage beam that damages once.
- Plasma Strike: Medium damage homing that lowers the enemy's DR briefly.
- Air Attunement: +5 Pow. Allows access to Air magic and its specializations.
- Air Blast: Close-ranged knockback.
- Flurry: Homing slow.
- Twister: Speed boost, generates an AoE around the caster.
- Razor Wind: Aura. +25 Power, +10 Agility.
- Shockwave: High damage in every direction, close-ranged knockback.
- Tornado: Three tornadoes that follow the target, dealing light damage.
- Vacuum Vortex: Large beam that slows, deals rapid damage.
- Shock: Close-ranged damage in front.
- Bolt: Homing that damages once.
- Lightning Trap: Jumps back, spawns a long trail of lightning that stuns the enemy if they step nearby. Lingers for a while.
- Lightning Embodiment: +50% DR for 6s, movement speed boost. Rapid AoE damage to nearby enemies, but cannot cast.
- Static Charge: Aura. +30 Power, homing teleport.
- Lightning Burst: Releases a powerful burst of lightning in all directions
- Lightning Javelin: A projectile that drags and stuns.
- Piercing Strike: A charged lightning attack, dashes to the target in a homing attack. High damage.
- Storm: A lingering AoE with a large radius.
- Arc of Devastation: A moving wave of lightning.
- Thunder King:
- Sound Burst: A close-ranged attack with a large radius, slows on-hit.
- Sound Strike: Homing slow.
- Sound Cacophony: AoE the caster that deals damage and confuses, 10s duration.
- Cascade: A sweeping wave that drags and stuns.
- Melody: +13% AP. E Increases DR and pulls enemy in.
- Melodic Repose: Large AOE that reduces AP and heals caster within the radius
- Light Orb: Multiple blasts of light, high initial damage followed by light damage. Projectiles that move in a wave-like motion.
- Guardian: +20%, damage mitigated returned as HP. Duration of 10s.
- Benediction: Damaging AoE, increases DR by 10% while within the radius.
- Mend: Self-heal.
- Shield: Reduces damage by 40% for 6s.
- Holy Ground: Larger version of Benediction.
- Judgement Cannon: A massive cannon that deals heavy damage following a brief charge.
- Barrier of Light: Enemies are unable to move out of the AoE. +10% DR.
- Judgement: A cannon of light that descends from above, homing.
- Titan of Light: +10% DR, passive heal. Buff.
Spec. of Holy or Cosmic. Basic
- Lightspeed: Reappears behind the target instantly.
- Scattered Lights: Several homing projectiles.
- Prism Beam: A beam that instantly forms rather than moving as a trail, dealing high damage once and stunning.
- Shadow Bomb: Multiple blasts of occult, high initial damage followed by light occult damage. Projectiles that move in a wave-like motion.
- Curse: Homing, halves healing for 6s. Light damage.
- Corruption: Damaging AoE, increases AP by 10% while within the radius.
- Life Drain: Homing, damages once and heals for the amount.
- Shield: Reduces damage by 40% for 6s.
- Desecrated Land: Larger version of Corruption.
- Shadow Cannon: A massive cannon that deals heavy damage following a brief charge.
- Soul Drain: Homing, -DR and slows.
- Death Magic: Aura. +15% AP, passive damage to nearby enemies.
Spec. of Occult or Illusion. Basic
- Shadow Claw: Close-ranged damge, knockback of 5 tiles.
- Shadow Walk: Become invulnerable to damage for 3s, GCDE, movement speed increase. Unable to cast during.
- Umbral Cloak: A cloak of shadows. 10% AP. Special: 50% DR for 3 seconds. (Aura)
- Eviscerate: Manifest from your opponent's shadow, teleporting towards them and slapping them away with an umbral claw.
- Distort: A wave that damages once and pierces, dealing 5s of Curse on-hit.
- Darkness: Light damage, inflicts blind status effect.
- Mind Fray: Homing, 5s slow and -20% AP.
- Clone: Summons a clone that pursues the target with light physical damage.
- Illusion Flurry: Heavy homing damage that roots both the target and the caster.
- Meteor Dash: Homing dash attack, pierces through target.
- Invigorate: Recharges MP, +10% AP for 10s.
- Astral Ambience: Aura, +25 Power, +20 Critical. Passively recharges MP.
- Nova Ray: High damage beam, must have used Invigorate recently.
- Star Rain: A damaging AoE that slows.
- Meteor: A charged, homing projectile that drags and stuns.
- Meteor Shower: Several meteors descend from above, leaving star rain AoEs.
- Starlight Overdrive: Aura. +15% AP, +5% DR.
- Crimson Overdrive: Aura. +15% AP. Special: +5% AP for 10s.
- Rosegold Overdrive: Aura. +15% AP. On dash, uses a Meteor Dash variant.
- Cosmic Ascension: Buff, +10% AP.
- Force Wave: Close-ranged wave.
- Energy Constriction: Homing slow.
- Energy Burst: Projectile that damages, stuns, and drags on-hit. At low HP, fires off a larger, stronger version.
- Energy Beam: A beam. Deals more damage at low HP.
- Energy Shield: +40% DR for 6s.
- Blue Shroud: Aura. +20 Power, +10%AP below 50% HP.
- Rapidfire: Many close-ranged projectiles fired in a burst.
- Mega Buster: A supersized version of Energy Beam, but it doesn't knock back.
- Spiral Bomb: A close-ranged attack that drags the target with, dealing rapid damage and stunning.
- Deflecting Palm: Repel all incoming damage briefly, returning 50% of it to the enemy.
- Great Spiral Bomb: A supersized version of Spiral Bomb.
- Compression: Homing that deals medium damage after a brief delay, stuns.
- Expedience: Aura. +10% AP, +10 vitality. Special: Three swirling projectiles that deal light damage and 0.5s stun on-hit.
- Push: Propels the target away from you, medium damage.
- Gravity Bomb: A projectile that stuns on-hit. Leaves a trail of gravity AoE that increases GCD and disables dash.
- Blackhole: After a short charge, spawns a blackhole object that pulls enemies in while dealing damage.
- Fall - The Weight of 30x Gravity: An expanding AoE in every direction, stunning enemies.
- Blast of Decay: Several projectiles, deals medium damage initially followed by light damage. Increases enemy cooldowns by 10%, slows for 6s.
- Accelerate: 3s speed boost followed by 10s of +10% agility.
- Wound Reversal: Moderate HP heal and minor MP heal. Instant / no delay.
- Slow Time: Slows all enemies within the AoE radius.
- Wither: Reduces the target's DR by 10% for 10s.
- Transcendence: Aura. +30 Power, passive heal, light MP regen.
- Timeskip: Reduces cooldowns by 20% for 10s.
- Time Beam: A beam that puts a random enemy spell on cooldown.
- Chronos: Aura. +10% AP, +20 Agility. Homing teleport on space. Special: Damage immunity for 3s.
- Way of The Raging Demon: Combat Style, +10 Power. Special (Q): Melee spells become GCDE for 8s.
- Way of The Soaring Bird: Combat Style, +20 Agility. Special (Q): Immunity to slow debuffs. Certain melee spells teleport the caster 2 tiles toward their target.
- Way of The Earth Giant: Combat Style, +10 Vitality. Special (Q): +50% DR for 6s. While guarding, critical hits do not trigger.
- Dash Strike: Dashes to target, dealing light damage.
- Double Slash: Two close-ranged strikes.
- Sweeping Cleave: Wide-ranged slowing strike.
- Fatal Strike: Dashes in a linear direction, dealing high damage.
- Galeforce: A projectile that drags and stuns.
- Phantom Strike: Teleports around target rapidly, dealing damage each time.
- Hundred Cuts: A fast moving linear AoE that deals rapid damage.
- Powersmash: Close-ranged, high damage attack that inflicts a 10s slow.
- Gentle Blade: Combat Style. All physical damage is converted to Holy. +15% AP.
- Way of The Wild Boar: Combat Style, +10 Power, +10 Agility. Physical attacks have a 15% chance to inflict 3s of bleed, cooldown of 15s. When HP drops to 1, caster becomes immune to damage for 8s, gains a speed buff, and spells are GCDE.
- UltraSMASH: Dashes toward target, dealing a Powersmash-esque attack with light tornado damage. Does not slow.
- Iron Fist: Combat Style, unable to equip a weapon while active. 25% of RPL added to Power. Physical damage has a 25% chance to inflict a 5s slow, cooldown of 15s.
- Jab: 5 tile dash attack, low cooldown. Moves around target afterwards.
- Flying Kick: Linear dash attack that slows on-hit.
- Axe Kick: High damage, close-ranged.
- Weighted Punch: 3 tile dash, 4s of -10% DR.
- Assault: Teleports around target three times, dealing damage during.
- Lariat: Linear dash that stuns and drags target with.
- Iron Body: Become immune to damage for 3s, unable to cast during.
- Assassin's Fist, Way of The Shadows: 30% of RPL added to Power. Special (Q), a dash attack that deals blindness on-hit.
- Murderous Surge: Teleports 7 tiles forward, dealing heavy damage to enemies between the original location and new location.