ChanceThe Empire's Decree
Following lengthy consideration and a weighing of their options, the Empire of Barsburg has decided to cut off all of its resource flow and reinforcements to the City State Achyon. It will no longer be a part of the Empire and is considered something of an abandoned project in their conquest of Esshar, with all nearby cities and towns outside of the country's borders no longer permitting the travel of Achyonite personnel unless they're given permission in advance.

Those still loyal to Barsburg are implored to travel to the capital and join the ranks of the ever expanding military, but true order and respect of authority has been lost within Achyon. 

The Coalescence at the centre of the City is no longer connected to the main network, fading. The synthetics linked to it simultaneously implode with their self-destruct modules set off, save for those that had been disconnected in advance.

For a while now, the City has been a haven for crime and ruled by it, ever since the former Commander Augustus, a true loyalist and man of the Empire, was disposed of by the Docro Family. This has only worsened, with the rise in poverty and crime, and the roaming undead of High Councilman Nidaz a common sight. Drug epidemics and lawlessness shake the bones of the city, the rot worsening with the long war. 

A number of prized bounties are put out by the Empire. Valuable relics are offered in exchange for the following, delivered directly to an outpost of Barsburg: Commander Niffty (280k), Alexei pyr Docro (310k), Nidaz Vanreth (300k).

What this means mechanically?
  • Wow rats! Where there's poverty, razuka are sure to follow. Applications will close in two days, and those accepted will be DMed! [CLOSED]
  • During the next faction update in the creation menu, Achyon will no longer feature.
  • Achyon is the outerlands! A danger zone! Capture minimum 1+ is advised for all encounters, though not strictly enforced. Be aware that by simply setting foot in this place you're making yourself vulnerable.
 The hardcover essay was published a few weeks following the Empire's Decree and renouncement of Achyon as a Barsburgian city-state. It primarily circulates neutrally aligned areas free of charge for those interested in Essharn and Barsburgian history. It likely can provide further insight to those unaware of all that's led to the decree. Its creation dates 1849AC and was published for the public in 1851AC.

Modern Essharn History in Relation 
to Barsburgian Conquest and Colonization Failure

By Indigo Lipovsky

1849AC

Conducting research allows one to know their enemy in and out. In matters of invasion, vast knowledge of the enemy and its history will contribute greatly to success. For this, understanding history will help paint a picture on why failure has occurred. Esshar’s turbulent history is a key factor in the Empire of Barsburg’s failure to control the country in full.

The continent of Aegis has colored inhabitants. From the mighty Empire of Barsburg to another expansion Empire, Aen, and the once monarch Kingdom of Esshar. Along with other neighboring nations such as the Republic of Magnolia, Rhoynur, Sluthia, Xigary, Nena, etc. Though of them all, one bearing the most horrendous combination of colors happens to be the broken Kingdom of Esshar. Its history with the Empire of Barsburg began over a century ago but long before the arrival of military forces it was in shambles, torn. 

Centuries ago, Esshar, similar to the Empire of Barsburg, had a singular government of acting monarchs to preside over the entire country. Even if there were different regions, the monarch's rule extended east to west, north to south. Their arrival to the country allowed by the Republic of Magnolia as the first settlers were known as ‘Astyan’. Their passage was granted as they faced inevitable death. The High Angel known as Maltziel granted them their safety but, from here on, for centuries the Angels have not interfered in human affairs despite Essharn and Osrona holding them in high regard.

As time passed and the natives built themselves up, neighboring nations, such as Rhoynur, developed poor relations with the Kingdom in 1650AC and raided it consistently. Though in the end, their attempts laid their people captured, many forced into slavery to pay for the crimes of those who came before them. Hierarchy developed and they became a lower class of people within the ruling city-state of Esshar, Osrona, this is where the monarchs reigned.

Struggles continued from there on. Following the successful defeat of their invaders, internal issues developed within Osrona in the form of terrorism. A five year struggle beginning in 1655AC and ending in 1660AC. A group known as the Syndicate attacked the monarchy. Their reasoning is unknown. Perhaps it was class differences but the terrorist group saw the time to strike ripe as the country was in a state of recovering from the raiding of Rhoynur. It’s said that the Rhoynish did establish their own city within Esshar known as Ilburg at some point. In the end, the terrorist group was defeated and a moment of normalcy returned to the Kingdom. 

It didn’t last very long as a new threat appeared: Witches. These creatures or people elude me but they’re said to have practiced dark and forbidden magic. They infiltrated the city soon after the Syndicate fell, some believing them to have worked hand in hand with the terrorism. A war broke out between knight and witch, in the beginning of the 1660s, lasting decades. They went as far as to summon demons in 1670AC to ravage the Kingdom with the final battle concluding in 1685AC. A botched summoning brought a people known as ‘Teraphim’ into the world.

This begins a new era in the country. The Kingdom remains but, on the ruins of these witches a city breathes to life known as Myllenoris. It developed without issue and no serious conflicts arose until 1725AC when the Empire of Barsburg. Central government was weak in Esshar as independence in regions sparked as a result of Syndicate terrorism. This allowed for the country to be weakened further as it bore many internal differences and disagreements, unlike the unified Empire. They pale in comparison to the united force of Barsburg, making them a weak, and easy target. During the battles, several leadership figures died, one including the King of Esshar.

Victory should have been swift and easy.

For internal struggles, yes. Osrona has disputes with a city on Tarian Mountain known as Theria in the 1730s. Several wars broke out between the two. Osrona threatens to march north. Out of desperation, Theria called upon a powerful Primordial, Garlijing’s, child Vartuul in defense of what could be seen as life or death of their people. Gathered Osronan forces slay the dragon, crippling Theria in more ways than one. During it all, Myllenoris became a developed city with enough power to contest Osrona, issues arose. It’s said that what sparked the conflicts between Osrona and Myllenoris was a petty mishap at a wedding which spurred long term political disagreements-- Between the famed ‘White Witch’, Myllenoris’ High Lady, and King Alexander rei Petrakis of Osrona. Rumors begin circulating around the kingdom that the King’s wife, Queen Nebula, is actually a witch. At some point before it all escalated, the witch is revealed after she takes the life of a Princess and casts powerful magic over King Alexander. 

In the year 1741AC, Osrona loses a long war against the Teraphim, the results described as ‘genocide’. Many perished that day, living the country truly in shambles. Yet a century later, the city remains standing. From the ashes, they rebuilt but unlike the time of reigning monarchy, gangs ruled over the ruins of the city. It’s  here in 1758AC that history becomes more familiar and in its tattered, fractured state, a family known as ‘Docro’ allowed Barsburgian passage into the country and internal invasion.

But, it’s here where I believe the roots of the issue begin settling.

Following a successful invasion, an incident called the ‘Pandemonium Chase’ ravaged the country. Its origins lie in ‘divine spirits’. Lands were destroyed, the dead rose. The event absolutely left the country in a state of peril and forced occupying Barsburgians to retreat west into Achyon. Their absence truly allowed Osrona to rebuild into what it is now. The century soon turns and entering into the 1800s, Barsburg has yet to make significant conquest into Esshar and is hauled up in its current colonial city-state of Achyon. Though, from there, with all other regions bearing differences and conflicts, the march of the Empire should be one without issue like all other successful conquests.

Achyon's present history begins at the turn of the century in the 1800s.

I’ve described two centuries of Essharn history to illustrate how turbulent it can be. There are forces at play that are beyond what we’ve experienced before. Yet the country has many internal issues, they fight each other, dark magics run rampant, they destroy and they kill despite being unified under the same country. Their creeds all differ. My journey to Esshar was to observe Barsburgian colonization, to compare it to how it once was and what I’ve seen counters what history has described. The state of Achyon is in disarray. They've been backed into a corner. While as expected, the country is its enemy, they have reduced themselves to allying with creatures of night, fabled ones who feast on the blood of humans, Vampires of a village known as Asphodel. They turn those in positions of power into those very same creatures. They’re but puppets and mere extensions of Asphodel and night creature power. I think of them as mankind's natural enemy but one that can be tamed. Rather than tame, however, the two work together to push back their foes. While advantageous, the association poses dangerous with that of the Empire. I am left to wonder if they will truly be successful. 

Since the times of 1725AC the Empire has pushed its way into Esshar. Achyon was one of its successful captures. The events of the Pandemonium Chase led the Barsburgian occupants to flee there.  In the 1810s, several conflicts broke out between Achyon and a gathering of tribes known as Moxtli for reasons unknown. Perhaps due to any relation with the plagues caused by the Pandemonium Chase. Regardless, tensions rose with Osrona as well. Cornered, ally-less, many uphill battles were fought. Though the city-state managed to procure territory, a mine, resources, known here as 'Silverwall Mine'. Cutting the enemy off to valuable resources and sourcing it to themselves. It was during this time where differences were put aside and both Osrona and Achyon fought against the aforementioned tribes of Moxtli. How did a tribe of animals grow so powerful? I'm not entirely sure; Their strength pitted two enemies as allies and from there on, they briefly returned to their back and forth offense and defense.

Yet there's another issue: Starfall Academy. An academy which opened on the year 1820AC. Its education that Osronan, its doors open to all, Achyonians included. It's said that all leadership of the country signed in agreement .An entire generation thus grew up on public, low-tier education extended to the masses. I witnessed a held event by a Professor Rosemarin in the year 1849AC. There is no direction. The primary education of that region of Esshar has touched many of Achyonian origin, soiling them from a young age. The consequences can be attributed to its current state. Councilwoman Synesia Artra has described many of their soldiers to 'lack discipline'. An incompetent army, one ran on a city with origins largely influenced by Barsburgian soldiers who were surrounded by gangs and the likes. Even now, I've witnessed deformed individuals and rancid smelling, walking corpses allowed by those in power. Many of these walking corpses linger around Councilman Nidaz, one who holds connection with the Docro family. 

I call upon reconsideration. The colonization of Esshar is doomed. Success is slim unless significant soldiers are deployed to the colony city-state. I believe resources should be focused on matters of greater success: Conflicts with Aen, internal affairs, anything else. To a latter mention, settling first established in a city overrun with gangs and likely drugs. I am left to believe that the Docro influence is not what we have been left to believe. It is not a positive one. A previous Don by the name of Alexei pyr Docro phrased himself to merely be a 'sword of Achyon' rather than a part of it. Though the current acting Don, Ilya pyr Docro, exhibits what's to be expected of a man of his status and blood. He has an interest in the mainland and acknowledges that there are places the colony city-state is lacking. Improvement can be made but the question is whether or not there will be fruit in the end. 

In the coming weeks, Osronan forces will be upon the colony city-state's walls.

Given all I’ve discovered of the country’s history and Achyon itself, I am requesting that the gain of conquest be reevaluated and the termination of Achyon as a colonial city-state of the Empire of Barsburg. I request that passage into the mainland be allowed but those associated with debauchery be forced to remain in the country of Esshar. They have disgraced the Empire to a point where the natives see them as a threat but not in association with the Empire itself. Conflicts merely bore from decades of attack on all fronts. Ideals have morals that have long since been abandoned and like a terminal tumor should it be cut off from the Empire of Barsburg. There is no further gain to be found in a fruitless endeavor.

Focus should return to conflicts with Aen as Esshar is impossible to conquer given the great influence it has been shown to have over our people. No matter what occurs, eventually, the city will fall under total Docro control and become a city of gangs and violence, much like how it was when the first settling colonizing soldiers arrived.

These people are not Barsburgian.

﹡ ﹡ ﹡

My name is Indigo Lipovsky, youngest daughter of head engineer Sacha Lipovsky of the wealthy industrial district Orvin. He specializes in the design of airships, both militaristic and pleasure/luxury usage. His designs have aided the Empire greatly. Through his success, I was able to secure a suitable education under the best private tutors to be offered. My mother, Lada Lipovsky, works within the Capital and is close with finances and budget. I’m in pursuit of certification for archives and historical documentation. Studies of Esshar and assessment of the colonial city-state began in the year 1848AC.

﹡ ﹡ ﹡

Presented lore came from accounts told by many ‘elders’ of Osrona, Esshar’s strongest defense, along with members of the Barsburgian colonial city-state Achyon, soldiers and government officials alike, along with my first hand accounts and fact-checking in available written records. This includes:

Synesia Artra, Achyonian Councilwoman and Military Sergeant
Ilya pyr Docro, Achyonian Government Official and ‘Don’
Alexei pyr Docro, Previous Don
Nidaz, Achyonian Councilman
Lucas Alder, Osronan Professor
Rosemarin, Starfall Professor
Zhrani akh Gardios, Osronan Stellus
Angelo ven Pelleaux, Osronan Knight
Ambrose Roche, Asphodel 'Prince'
[Image: a1f3cc2bfee77a18eded58b35396ef26.png][Image: 8a316927437131f82cd35855d4893473.png]
Topic Options