Discord Bans
In regards to the decision on this appeal: https://chronicles-of-esshar.com/forum/s...7#pid36277

I disagree with how these bans are treated. If they're banned in-game then yeah, ban them off the discord.

However, if they're only banned from the discord because of their behavior in the discord, their privilege to chat should just be revoked.

The discord's announcements are important for all players. The helpful links, the ic and ooc announcements, the changelogs, they should still be able to access these if they're allowed in-game.

Add a role that removes them from the chat channels. Banning them entirely just encourages them to evade and join on an alt under the guise of necessity. Then, they occasionally end up talking and repeating what they were punished for.

Makes it so you don't have to be a server admin to process discord unbans too.
it's really not hard to avoid discord bans, either. creating a role that can't send messages and which avoids any and all issues of

"speaking (or rather posting / acting) before thinking about what you say or do. I am sure you mean no harm, but it often makes you come across as rude.

Tying this together with the long history you have with this game and community, including the longest track record of ban and unbans alike, it makes the idea of allowing you back onto our platform, even muted, unappealing."

what is described herein, is really a 3-minute process at most. its not hard to fix the issue and neuter people's apparent perceived capacity to harm others in the community. if someone is so toxic to a community that you cannot stomach them being in the discord and being incapable of interacting with people publicly, they probably shouldn't be around at all. it's very weird because one would think that they could do much more damage to the game by playing it than by passively existing in its vague atmosphere.

it's a WEIRD stance that i find difficult to understand
I don't even think this is a bad idea, but;

If we allow these people who are "banned" from the Discord to remain, we need to specifically lock their access to ALL channels aside from the important ones. Namely: Anything under the "Information" tab(announcements and whatnot), and the Changelogs. I think that even allowing them to view the chat could lead way to potential hurt feelings and angry DMs if they see people actively talking about them, or outright just removes the point entirely from them being removed from the discord.

Quick edit: I don't mean their ability to talk, I mean outright strip them of the ability to view anything but those. No chat, no chatlogs, just the ability to see specific channels.
[Image: edbae8adc4cdc657c7307971b838ad95.png]

if anyone asks i got banned for sending /messages to people
"Add a role that removes them from the chat channels."

his suggestion exactly, dearest rodent
(04-13-2021, 10:00 PM)Mouse Wrote: I don't even think this is a bad idea, but;

If we allow these people who are "banned" from the Discord to remain, we need to specifically lock their access to ALL channels aside from the important ones. Namely: Anything under the "Information" tab(announcements and whatnot), and the Changelogs. I think that even allowing them to view the chat could lead way to potential hurt feelings and angry DMs if they see people actively talking about them, or outright just removes the point entirely from them being removed from the discord.

Quick edit: I don't mean their ability to talk, I mean outright strip them of the ability to view anything but those. No chat, no chatlogs, just the ability to see specific channels.

Yes, that's what I meant. Remove chat visibility from them. Like a new account that loses the Player role. They can't see anything but the top few informational channels.

WRONG FUCKING FORUM ACCOUNT
I don't know, on one end this all makes sense because IC announcements and changelogs and other news are important...

.. But on the other if you unban them and give them access to only those they can just invite an alt account and effectively circumvent the IP ban (if there's any).

Plus, I'm not sure we can trust the kind of ruffians who refuse to use proper appeal forms. That seems risky!
[Image: nR3lU0X.png][Image: unknown.png]
Vriska Wrote: yeah having an MCU loki icon is pretty cringe huh
(04-13-2021, 10:13 PM)Jumpy Wrote: I don't know, on one end this all makes sense because IC announcements and changelogs and other news are important...

.. But on the other if you unban them and give them access to only those they can just invite an alt account and effectively circumvent the IP ban (if there's any).

Plus, I'm not sure we can trust the kind of ruffians who refuse to use proper appeal forms. That seems risky!

Discord bans are based on account and IP. The discord link is publicly available regardless, a new one wouldn't circumvent the IP ban.

They wouldn't be able to join in their IP is banned. They would be able to join after they change their IP and make an alt. At that point, it's essentially the same as evading the discord ban.

Even if this was an issue, revoking invite permissions exist.
(04-13-2021, 10:13 PM)Jumpy Wrote: I don't know, on one end this all makes sense because IC announcements and changelogs and other news are important...

I mean they might not have realized that proper appeal form existed. OR they may not have been getting a proper reply if they did appeal there. Either way IC announcements and patchnotes are important. 

Maybe even let them suggest stuff in game suggestions (but not see the discussion channel)
[Image: Ey453TpXMAEvpOq?format=jpg&name=large]
(04-13-2021, 10:20 PM)ScarecrowVT Wrote: Maybe even let them suggest stuff in game suggestions (but not see the discussion channel)

absolutely not
[Image: edbae8adc4cdc657c7307971b838ad95.png]

if anyone asks i got banned for sending /messages to people
(04-13-2021, 10:20 PM)ScarecrowVT Wrote: Maybe even let them suggest stuff in game suggestions (but not see the discussion channel)

No. For the same reason prisoners aren't allowed to vote
Topic Options