Texts in "Say".
Alright. 

So, I haven't really checked if there is already a thread about this. But! I would like to suggest implanting new features in our option window. The options would be something like.

:Local Text Color
:IC Name Color

Or perhaps make it all in one depending on how you want to code it. Big Grin

:IC Text Color

The whole point of making this, would not only to be able to personalize our characters even further, by adding a color of our choice to our texts. But mostly to break the confusion that we get, when we are in big groups and that everyone talks at the same time. Otherwise it would take a good amount of collective discipline in order to avoid this sort of chaos. It is really hard to follow a conversation when everything is just... White. Dodgy

I am sure that many will agree with me on this and to be honest. I don't see why it wasn't thought of before considering how long Eternia has been around.

Please support this idea if you agree, so that we may have it added in the future patches Exclamation

Thank you all and have a nice day! Heart
To make this even better: Bring back the character icons before white texts. I literally have no idea why they were removed and having them back would be... nice, especially with these other additions
i think they were removed cause lag, at least that's what i've heard, so why not bring them back but in a dmi format, where you can choose what icon you want to have, with it being able to actually be of your character ref instead of the pixel sprite..
it's not what it looks like
They were removed because of lag and because they would blow people's cover for disguises.
[Image: 1c9be22e43dfe23781b34cc71660b98b.gif]
The only time LOOC is impossible to follow is when it's chaotic with a vast number of people talking at once. Imagining that to become a rainbow barf in my chatbox already seems awful.

Big public scenes often get muted LOOC because you should focus on RP over OOC.
[Image: nR3lU0X.png][Image: unknown.png]
Vriska Wrote: yeah having an MCU loki icon is pretty cringe huh
(04-05-2021, 01:27 AM)Jumpy Wrote: The only time LOOC is impossible to follow is when it's chaotic with a vast number of people talking at once. Imagining that to become a rainbow barf in my chatbox already seems awful.

Big public scenes often get muted LOOC because you should focus on RP over OOC.

There is a feature that allows you to turn off LOOC and see nothing but IC texts and vice versa. This idea is mainly for IC texts and it will allow us to identify each other through our respective colors. Many Byond RP games has this feature and it works perfectly.
(04-05-2021, 01:27 AM)Jumpy Wrote: Imagining that to become a rainbow barf in my chatbox already seems awful.

(04-05-2021, 01:34 AM)s3ctim Wrote: This idea is mainly for IC texts and it will allow us to identify each other through our respective colors.

The many colors in chat have always been awful on BYOND games. Having to suffer them even while being on an IC only tab seems even worse than using it for LOOC alone. People can already change their quote color and that seems plenty enough considering some people still think #FF0000 is an acceptable and cool color to use.

In the words of my hero:

"It is a sin to be ugly."
[Image: nR3lU0X.png][Image: unknown.png]
Vriska Wrote: yeah having an MCU loki icon is pretty cringe huh
Not from my experiences that's for sure. And yes we can change the /quote color, but that is only when we speak through the rp window. When we speak through the "Say" command it's a whole different thing. Texts get flooded like crazy because it's just how it is when everyone posts at the same time. Gotta look through all these white texts and analyze the whole screen, just to get an idea of what's going on and who is saying what. It can get quite tiring and quite annoying since you have to be constantly paying attention.

I don't want to be rude, but it seems to me that you're simply trying to find excuses instead of trying to see the point of this thread and how it could fix a lot of confusion for a lot of people. We could just make a rule about not using such colors if that is such a big problem. Or whatever is necessary to make it work. I am sure that we can work something out in the end, which would simply enhance the quality of the game.

That is my hope with this thread...

Let's focus on the general aspect and finding a solution instead of our personal opinions.
This thread is cool and all but there’s a much better solution to the proposed problem.

Bring back character portraits in white text. NOW.
Yina and I discussed a good alternative to the portrait system, which will basically involve letting people create and upload their portrait instead of the game generating it on the fly and trying to cache the various changes and whatnot.

The old system was incredibly taxing on the server and failed to display the picture more often than not.

There's no timetable on this change though, it's not overly high priority, especially considering the other things on the list.
Topic Options