Sanguine415The War of the Last Laugh
[Image: CC8e68X.png]

The year of 1751 rumbles through Theria not with a whisper, but a bang. The High Lord of Myllenoris had made a claim against the Task family; had made demands of Theria in its conduct. A press conference is called in the square before the statue of Garljing, already several imps scattering in the sidewalks with bulging, inhuman eyes. Dun Task, elder statesman of Theria, had this to say.

Quote:“The good Lord Finn has asked my confession, and in truth I have long been waiting to give it. My remaining time is short, but I think there’s still time for a good project, a last laugh or two. So I’ll tell you Finley, you want to know what’s funny?

I made Nox’s scythe; knew she was a lost puppy of my even more lost love Eudocia. The thought of Osrona, only fifty years after being plagued by the infestation of Moonfall’s coven, being infested by witches so deeply in high society amused me to no end. I thought it was hilarious, and I have no regrets. That it happened not once, not twice, but three times while the boy king clung to divine right like his mother’s teat was professional comedy even by my standards as a clown. Should have paid more attention in your history lessons.”

An old, withered ad of Slick Sicks going into bankruptcy shortly before his Felblooded death from old age is depicted in a sad ad as the column continues.

Quote:Duana Kurokaiyo was my niece, her earliest efforts of chaos before her demise sponsored by my guidance. Chaos is important for growth, conflict is key to ensure stagnation does not rot the spirit of the land after all. My sons have found friends with the demons as I did in my prime, for they are warriors with spines willing to fight for their lives day in and day out. The slimes, Nebula’s gift? Charmingly naive, but precious in a sense. And yet you murder them freely and claim them evil as witch blood flows through your veins.

I hate bullies. Always have. And I do love a good party. Like Atreus Ghede’s back in the day, sacrificing First Light knights for giggles. The first demon I’d seen summoned, but boy you can bet it wasn’t the last. I was around at the black spire, I saw their plans to sack Osrona. Lady Veles, Yalmavanta and Douma the spiders, the noble wolves and their royalty. Their shadow, the black spire’s, remained long after they were gone.

Another worn ad shows Sicks on his deathbed, the words “SAVE SICKS” in bold amongst otherwise tattered, pleading letters.

Quote:Their assaults aided my revenge. Eroded the once unstoppable Osronan empire to the state we found it in when my city was besieged. When the great war toppled and shattered that which had been the most dangerous threat to Theria’s sovereignty. That which held back the last great horde of those invigorated, chaotic harbingers of change and growth that are battle hungry demons.

So now my boy Finley, you question the intentions of me and mine? I lay them bare, the game was rigged from the start. Seeds of erosion to break the great alliance that could very well have wiped my people off the map. That was not only willing to, but TRIED to of their own volition out of arrogance and greed. Do you think I had forgotten? That I had forgiven?

Another, final worn note is not actually an ad. It’s an Obituary for Sicks Seven, a well esteemed proprietor of the lauded bathhouse of Theria.

Quote:You had your fun, now it’s our turn. Did you forget who let the demons in last time? I am of the first of the Fireblooded, demons are as much of the natural cycle, of our dark psyche, as any spirit. I did say you should have kept up with your history lessons. These lands have grown glutted and fat upon peace, stagnated by these meaningless diplomatic ties. No longer. Their dark armies have united, and march with us together. There’s no backing down now, there can be no compromises, and there will be no peace. Don’t bore me to death before I die of old age. No more talking it out, no more letters to be ignored. Rinn was my heart and soul, my mercy and patience, she was the best chance you had. And she’s dead.

You fucked up Finley Ghede. 

[Image: Go_Team_Theria.png]
A series of statements by the warlords in assent to the matter appear to be listed steadily afterwards. Why did Theria reuse newspaper so much. Did they not have enough paper…

Dragonlord Sythaeryn Vartuul

Quote:You make these demands while much of Theria's army and the Alliance's forces act as a wedge between the forces of Barsburg and Esshar, while we spill blood and sons and daughters die young to keep some semblance of peace in this fractured nation. This was never an easy campaign, but now it's become so difficult... Surrounded by foreign forces to the north while our supposed allies turn on us from the south.

I'll make this brief: These demands remind me of similar requests our dear Alexander Petrakis made to Theria so long ago. Do I need to repeat what became of that? Should I go down the list of the many knights that met fire and brimstone? Do you want another city to burn to the ground?

Because it will not be our kingdom that is set aflame, Teraphim. No man or woman that threatens a true dragon should expect to live. No army has managed to tame the mountain Tarian.

Once upon a time, when the only thing between your jugular and the edge of my blade was your silver skin, you screamed that if I let you let live you'd hunt me until my final moments, Finley. Come, then, if you're going to be so brave and foolish to tell Theria how to govern itself. Or realize what you're up against and stand down.

Marzius Volgin, the Second Clown Prince

Quote:It's time we fucking kill every single noble and wannabe-noble asshole in this entire goddamn continent. I have been against the Nysean fuckers for a while now, and I know very well they're the kind that dwells inside their city because they're afraid. Because they know that every single time they leave this continent, their lives are going to get a smidge more miserable.

Remember one thing, Nyseans. Every single death, every single nightmare you have- It is caused by your king willfully saying your lives as a whole is worth less than his. That if he must use you as cannon fodder? He will. We all know he will- He did it once, and he'll do it again, and escape to the next city after that, and then the next, and the next, and the next...

And if some dagger-eared apologetic noble-minded fucker decides that their mouth is best suited for kissing an egocentric's king ass, and wants to get in the way because they feel guilty for killing an entire city without even saying so much as a public apology?

We'll know what burns first. A city covered in snow and protected by dragons...

Or a bunch of trees huddled up together.

The Underlady has her eyes on you. You will know fear.

Thalis Avitus, the Second Thunderlord

Quote:I’ll be honest, I ain’t ever been one for the king. There’s something about being broke in an alleyway that changes your perspective on things… You dance about with the Knights in the Order, finding out you don’t get paid for risking your life, and then the moment your life is hanging by a thread? The King abandons you. He looked right at me and walked away despite the years I spent serving Osrona.

So come on up Nysea. I don’t mind showing you the boot that kicked Del’s head into the ground. Hel, you’re free to join them under it. Myllenoris can come too - I ain’t got beef with the lot of you spiritual folk, but this is MY home. I refuse to lose it again to the grubby hands of the Teraphim and sure as FUCK won’t be losing it to the blue bloods.

Valero Robin Task, the Second Black Knight 

Quote:So! You're asking for Theria's statement, is that right Finn? Well, I got a real simple answer for you, but we can get to that in a moment. It's best to savor these sorts of moments. The last time I was within your city, I nearly lost my life. Don't think I've forgotten, or forgiven the bitch who ordered my death.

Yet, that's not where your transgressions end. Funny ain't it? First you try to take away my very life, now you come for Theria's freedom? It ain't going to fucking happen. I won't allow you to perform another fucking massacre. How quickly people seem to forget about how you ordered the death of innocent women, and children...

And you dare act like you have the moral high ground.

I've postponed my answer for long enough, so here it is.

Go fuck yourself. You won't even have the chance to reach the mountains. Your city, and your vale will be set ablaze. Myllenoris will fall, and Moonfall will rise once more. Enjoy your lives while you still have them. Oh, and if any of those self righteous pricks from Nysea come to your aid, we'll slaughter 'em just like you.

You do not fuck with Theria.
There messages differed in words, but not intent. The three warlords stand ready with the dragonlords, Theria and the dark horde have declared war on Nysea and Myllenoris.

:Flyers announce that demons and slimes are now welcome within Theria. Nyseans and Myllenorrans are open season.
:New Osrona and Alabastre are considered neutral parties until otherwise noted out of respect for King Basil and Queen Mars and nostalgia.

[Image: Redwood_2.jpg]
Pictured, stylized aspiring Dragonlord Redwood leading Therian soldiers on the front lines.

(War dates tba)
[Image: file_11284_E3_2015_Mediakit_020-1280x720..._tta_1.png]

-1751-

The trees of Myllenoris turn white, their leaves twinkling with frost.
They remain this way for days, weeks...
There is no sign that the forest's winter will end soon.

The High Lord issues this statement:
Quote:
"Unfortunately for Dun Task, I have read my histories. I know them too well. 
As the grandson to one of Old Moonfall's Supremes, I would have been a fool not to know them.
And the histories are dark. They are filled with mistakes of man that pushed our country and our world to the brink of desolation.
They are filled with a Coven that would subjugate all underneath the cruel whip of their Dark Lord.
They are filled with hoards of demons and Helspawn who would push man underneath its heel, who would enslave them, who would turn their very home into the pits of damnation itself.

Despite such nightmares being written not as myth or legend, but fact and modern history,
we follow in circles, not learning from our past, and thus dooming our future.
In an age of terror, Aschea saved the west from the Coven's tryanny, divine intervention on the behalf of the good Moonfallen.
In a time of crisis, heroes of Osrona the likes of which history will never forget turned the tide back against the Black Spire to secure Esshar's united survival once more.

But these moments of salvation cannot be what we depend on.

Make no mistake;
Theria's declarations save the Old Man's are nothing more that posturing before a dam beginning to burst.
These warlords and Fireblooded may say what they will, threaten who they might as they hammer and cut away at the hard fought barrier meant to keep all of us safe.
When they finally succeed in breaking it down, 
when they realize what Dun Task's endeavors have truly bought,
There will be no moral high ground to argue over.
There will be no Esshar to squabble for.

To this end, I extend an invitation, one for Alabastre, Osrona, Ilburg, Nysea, and even those in Theria who might still see sense.
Fight with us against the Dark.
What blood lies between mortals is the common war,
but we enter an engagement that follows in the legacies of our fore-bearers.
To forsake this fight is to forsake humanity,
it is to forsake Esshar.

My kin are meant to be the shield between mankind and these monsters,
and if I must finish this hunt alongside old enemies or alone, then I will see my Aschean duty through."
(Finn Ghede)

The Lady Consort and Mistseer of the Vale makes an addition:

Quote:"Once again, I am disappointed in people.

Valero. You call upon me for my mistake, and yet, it was the Witch that your family knew about in the first place that came into my home and manipulated my emotions.
I did not want, or desire your death.

They did.

Instead of throwing out foul words, perhaps you should not have trusted the Witch from the start?
Considering that they were the one who has manipulated us all.
Yet here you all are. Playing right into their game. For the second time.

What else is there to even say?"

(Amalia Ghede)

The Mistseer of the Greycloaks offers his own thoughts as well:

Quote:"Many years, Theria has been a place that I would love to be in.
To hang out with, to enjoy the company of the like minded and even going the extra step in even helping them secure a fortune.
However, it seems that those times have changed now that they let the demons in.

The same with the Mimics and those that linger in the darkness and breed that same destruction.
This isn't a war to claim something that is of even ground; this is a war to get rid of those that came to destroy everything that we enjoy.
Demons that were summoned by witches. Witches that once destroyed and manipulated everything once and continue ever more. 
I welcome all those capable to stand up along with us of Myllenoris.

All those that will not allow the seed of corruption to spread and linger on in the hearts of man.
I challenge every single one of these twisted ideals to see the error of their ways. The Task family must fall for Theria to really claim itself as it once was; a land of dragons and a land of Mercenaries that would never trade their life for demonkind.

Together, we will destroy the seed of evil that is the demons and the mimics. Together, we will cleanse the Dreadwoods.
Together, we will usher in the peace that we all so desired for."

(Rolim Seira)

Myllenoris makes ready for an assault on Theria to depose the Warlords and supporters of the city who would propagate demon rule and to hold Dun Task and his family accountable for their crimes.
The Forest Kingdom prepares itself to fend off the oncoming demon hoards as well.
Tree growth around the Vale signifies the High Lord taking greater precautions toward the sacred grove, but none truly know what his intentions with it are...

[Image: tuxpi.com.1594658830.jpg]
[Image: 81ced0a75cbe23e36385955745f768db.jpg]

The Valeborne moves with Nysea into the forests at the base of the mountain where the Abyssal Covenant and Theria's military might have prepared their own forces.
They soon clash without parley or discussion.
They had all called for blood.

The First Battle will take place on Friday 7/17 @ 6PM EST
[Image: jdfXgxZ.png]

After the battle at the center of this side of Esshar, the Myllenoris and Nysea forces achieve a narrow victory.
However there were casualties of notable magi on either side.

War camps are set up west of the Baleford Bridge as preparations for a siege begin on the Tarian Mountain that houses Garjling.
The small villages and territories on the way, no longer under the turbulent leadership of the Coalition, are forced to make a choice and a choice quickly. Some flock to the promise of the rich Therians aided by demon kind, and others eventually to the other side despite the reluctance. 

The armies that advance upon Theria are not all that mighty due to the last great war of Esshar, the greatest war of the 17th century. 
It is then no surprise that the armies are not comprised solely of soldiers but also merchants and common folk raising up arms.

Quote:
Our first push has gone well, and I'm sure it has no doubt caused those who slither in the dark to think twice about their actions; those who'd rather align themselves with plagues than seek solace and peace as the rest of us do.

But it isn't over yet. This is war - the very same type that I've lost my parents to over a decade ago. The very same type that we've sought to bring an end to once and for all. I vow to use this blade - Cosmos Chaser; forged by Leoni ven Astor, to carve a better future for the next generations to come and act as the wind that guides them.

To my allies, stay strong. We're proceeding smoothly and if these collective efforts are kept up, then I have no doubt this war will soon come to an end and Esshar will be a better place for it. To my enemies, quake in fear. Cling to what's left of your lives knowing that we are coming - live knowing of the grave mistake that you've made, and bask in feelings of regret. To those who are uncertain about the strife of war, those who are weak-hearted, and are confused or scared, I ask that you stow these emotions should you choose to take a stand, and fight.

It's all we can do at the end of the day. Running won't solve much. It's only a temporary solution to a permanent problem. I want each and every one of you to know - all of the denizens between Nysea as well as Myllenoris, no... the entirety of Esshar, even. Those who may be afraid... children, who are forced to grow in these awful times, just as I grew up in times of war.

No matter how grim things may seem, it is the Light that will always triumph over the Dark.
Aeolus

Quote:What would burn first, a canopy of trees or a city surrounded with mountains and snow? Apparently Willow was the answer.

How many more losses will it take for you all to realize that standing down is the right answer, how many more will sing 'rat ranch' before they meet their demise. And how many more of our people will you murder before there's no room to stand down.

We're coming quickly, if you don't want us to reach the mountains then it'll take more than what I saw on that battlefield.

Time is ticking, don't let it run out.
Atlas

There is no discussion, after all, this was a war of unwanton bloodshed. Chaos and violence.
The forces advance up the mountain, approaching Theria's gates.

The Second Battle will take place on Friday the 24th at 6PM EST.
[Image: mountainfortress_final.jpg]

The dark legion is pushed back to the mountain fortress that has never fallen, the halls loud with soldiers already in a frenzy while they await the bloodletting to begin. The local countryside has been scourged by dragonfire, and it appears Theria is prepared, ready, and perhaps even excited to fight once more in a glorious battle.

The elder statesman of Theria had this to say.

Quote:Sons of Theria, we mourn the loss of our brother Willow. The nightmare is immortal now, living on forever in the darkest part of their dreams. He lived every day of his life ready to die, and in doing so he was one of the finest pupils I ever had. He is a martyr for chaos, for the end to this stagnancy the elf king lauds as the natural order. But his death is not forgotten, and we've rebuilt the Thunderlord from the bottom up with arcanium for a second round of stomping. Yes, it seems Del wasn't enough for Thalis, he wants to put the cleats down on Sethon's forehead too. Finley was a decadent degenerate and peddler at best, considering his orders genocided innocent people. Luckily for him, the Fireblooded don't moralize their ultra violence like the knife eared fetishists, I won't really argue who's the badder guy here.

But we are Therian, our lives are blood, steel, fire, ash, and the resounding cacophony of battle. They expect us to shiver in our boots awaiting this siege, but they've come right where we want them. Glory awaits they that fights fearlessly for freedom without fear of death, for they too are immortal in that sense. You cannot kill an ideal, and I'd ideally like to see what you've got boy kings.

And you, sons and daughters of demons, of the dark host that stands beside us in this glorious carnage to come. We stand tall knowing our quarry is coming to the hunting grounds. The blood that will flow will be nothing less than a sanguinary exultation. We will never yield, take every inch or die trying. As the Dog Emperor rides his mule with his legion of rats by our side, chaos will reign on the battlefield, and there will be another nightmare yet.

The walls of Theria stand ready, demons, Osronan crossbowmen, and hardened Therian spears assembled, many on the countless murder holes and embrasures alongside the countless imps and men that lined the walls to face the armies of Nysea and Myllenoris not with an air of grimness, but with blood lust and excitement for the battle to come.

The Battle Awaits, Today at 6PM EST
Topic Options