Oyster.Common IC/OOC Divide Failures
I'm making a list of these so that you can check yourself before you wreck yourself. Now that it's in the guide forum I've rewritten it to be more gentle! Please keep these in consideration if you're new and wondering what to do.

- "I just went to every city and ..." Stop. If you left an rp, don't come back and act as if the time has flowed regularly and just rejoin your conversation like a few minutes had passed. It's extremely jarring. The distance between cities, while unspecified, can at least be considered to close a scene for most intents and purposes.

- "Cant wait for war tomorrow!" or "You looked different yesterday!" Stop. One OOC day =/= One IC day. It's really jarring when you're trying to live a story. Almost as jarring as...

- "Wow I haven't seen you for a year!" Stop and also fuck off. Interactions in character should be considered as vague representations of how often we interact offscreen. Just because someone hasn't been around for a few OOC days doesn't mean you should consider them completely absent from reality for that time.

-"We don't get paid!" Stop. I know a lot of you think this is funny so it's not a big deal, but in case it ever becomes an actual issue. You do get paid. You eat food. You drink beer. You live somewhere. In this regard coins are unfortunately a pseudo-currency, but you should never actually roleplay like the army of your city is not paying you.

-"I just sleep on this bench!" Stop. Not owning a house mechanically is not the same thing as having nowhere to live. You can just rp having a home. You can even go the forbidden mile and rp having PARENTS that you live with!! Some people rp being intentionally homeless despite having a high rank and magical power and that's annoying in its own right but not the purpose of this thread. Maybe I'll make a bad rp tropes thread later...

"Oh, I guess he's asleep..." Stop. Someone being AFK doesn't mean you should treat them as being asleep standing up. Most people won't care- some even rp standing up while sleeping- but for others it's really irritating. If someone is AFK you should just tactfully move the scene along with as little plot holes left as possible. If it's super important, wait for them to return.

"I made my fortune cutting wood!" Stop. I mean.. unless you really want to be a lumberjack. But it's kinda lame. Okay this one is really nitpicky... I know some of you are vibing with me on it though. Just rp you got your money from your actual job, like being a cadet... see above point.

"I'm bored, we never do anything." Stop. Being in the military has responsibilities. Patrols, guard duty, and so on. The time you spend kissing your girlfriend in the main square is not directly correlated to everything you do as a soldier.
"This city/faction/building is empty/inactive/abandoned!" - Unless otherwise specified, non-magi populations and even NPC magi populations exist to fill the world. Esshar is not made up by a population of ~120 individuals. A faction or sub-faction that only has a few members in it OOCly can RP having a low amount of people within it, but they aren't the only three around. The cities are not truly empty, buildings are not completely vacant, and sub-groups do not die out unless they're put out via IC action.
this thread hits some sweet spots so i'm moving it to the guides forum
- "Bruh, that guy is a simp no cap..." no. you were born in the world of Eternia, you're not a young white kid named jay from new york trying to impress his black friends. it makes no ic sense for you to use slang like that.

- "Make s' 't not b' loud in'da house when'y come over." - if you're going to do an accent great. but learn to use apostrophes and to give more than a single letter of a word. not only is it difficult to read but also this one sounds like: "M-ay-q ss t not b[...]" you get what I mean. One and an apostrophe isn't a word. this is not how accents work. good creativity, bad application.
[Image: nR3lU0X.png][Image: unknown.png]
Vriska Wrote: yeah having an MCU loki icon is pretty cringe huh
The thing I got thrown a few times is:

Dude build an ooc build and you'll he more powerful.

And I'm like: Nah I like my story wise builds. Which I try to make them strong but ic thematic.
Topic Options