DreamspeakerRules on Settlement Building
What the title says.

Basically introduce rules on settlement building. I'll just point at the elephant in the room and say that building a settlement right next to enemy capital (see: Delphina building a settlement right next to Aphros, 1 screen away, quite literally) is silly.

You should be able to build it only on your faction's IC territory. Building it on enemy territory (let alone so close to enemy capital) in order to gain settlement caproll advantage feels extremely cheesy.

For comparison, it would be the same as if Aphros built their settlement next to Vdalion's capital or Delphina's capital and claim caproll advantage that way- or if Vdalion did the same to either of the factions.

this feels like massive spires moment

Thoughts?
[Image: TfL47eY.png]
them bugs shouldnt even have nothing fr.

But it is bad. A screen away is simply not okay.
i'm goign to ki ll you a l l
[Image: comm_round_2_11.png]
(08-11-2022, 08:55 PM)Dreamspeaker Wrote: ...

Fair.

There is a certain distance you need to be away from another settlement to build, but I realize it isn't sufficient. We also do have a settlement guide, they just don't cover what you've mentioned (but should). 

But consider this: The settlement is not a settlement, it's a patch of land and a work in progress. With the IC, Aphros is granted permission to respond in a razing: Win a raid (limited to 10 men, Greathive preferred) and you can destroy the settlement. If the Greathive win, they get a free tower or similar building.

Let's continue this talk in #council.
The first tower that Delphina had was closer to the other nations than their own capital, yes, and then a second one was made. Closer even to Aphros than the first (I don't know about any of the fine details but all of the nations do have the money to drop this much stuff) but the fact  that Delphina has to walk farther to their first two villages to get to them than the other nations is weird.

It raises questions like, can we just walk by them and place our own settlements next to Delphina?

I'm all for the conflict aside from the confusion.
[Image: c603523eebb1995b6af75201658c5a0c.gif]
the settlement 1 screen away from aphros is my fuckshack
[Image: comm_round_2_11.png]
Or you could just delete the settlement and refund half (or none of) the coin used to claim it. Realistically, skirmishers from Aphros - NPC or not - would have just destroyed the settlement as it was being built. There's absolutely no way that they would let a settlement be established literally directly outside the (IC) largest nation. It's simply not possible.
No one needs to waste their time with a razing when the settlement would have been destroyed in the first place regardless. All this is going to do is:
1. End a few unlucky bugs and Aphrosians' stories literally a single year through the game if cap rolls happen - being captured by a bug is as good as death, and there's no doubt that the Aphrosians are going to return that favour.
2. Cause an unsatisfying conclusion because there's no loot to be had or victory to be gained - it's just destroying something that shouldn't be there in the first place.

And, EVEN IF Delphina/the bugs win the right to stay there - no matter how unlikely that is thanks to Aphros' power and their verbers - what then? The settlement will still be right outside of Aphros' front door like an eyesore. It'll still be the first thing you enter as soon as you leave Aphros from the northern side. It may as well just be a war camp more than anything.

To me, the fairest options would be either deleting the settlement with a refund or otherwise pushing it somewhere else.
I'll need to see how close it is, I don't think it'd be a bad thing to move it away a little. But I think Aphros should still be able to respond with a razing.
as for placement, the settlement is intentionally central (not next to anyone's capital; lines below drawn from each nation's respective capital region's exits) and very purposefully put near a major resource (the mines); that's icly and it's doing what it's supposed to do ic, which is piss people off and grant delphina the (stealable) advantage of owning the mines's resources

[Image: 3KQ11rZ.png]

that said, it's also icly for aphros or vdalion to get really mad and and siege it to try and either raze it or alternatively claim it and its resources for themselves (free 150k settlement paid only in blood), and i look forward to that

if it were built in aphros' or vdalion's actual region that would be an issue, but atm its mostly just an ic issue that can and is being dealt with ic
[Image: characters-2-smaller.png]
The IC of conflict is legitimately great and I'm looking forward to certain projects it's brought about, but it is a tad bizarre given both other nations have ICly been guarding the mines since the kerfuffle over Nerdlords Pronouncement and following accords.

Now, I'm all for a good ol' fashioned mine-war. But I feel like allowing them to just waltz miles away from their territory and starting a settlement in a guarded region would require some kind of involvement from the people guarding it. Because right now it feels like Delphinia is a ghost who slips in and claims stuff but isn't there to actually man the battlements. Meanwhile the Huskarls and Knights have had a manned presence at the mines almost since day 1 which is what started the kerfuffle to begin with.

The map, for reference to those not of the exploring bent.

[Image: Maps4Milly.png]
Topic Options