Chronicles of Eternia
Antagonist Resource Systems - Printable Version

+- Chronicles of Eternia (https://chronicles-of-eternia.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://chronicles-of-eternia.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://chronicles-of-eternia.com/forum/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Antagonist Resource Systems (/thread-12781.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Antagonist Resource Systems - Ori - 09-30-2022

I don't really like how witches / necromancers are rewarded for every danger they participate in. I can tell it's meant to incentivize them to seek out conflict, but at the same time...

A) It means that there's often very little to gain from fighting them on the other side of things

B) If you don't perm them, it's technically a "win" for the witch / necromancer, of which they will be certain to remind you of in their lose RP. 

Of course this is a roleplaying game, but, I can't lie and say that it hasn't kept me from getting involved in fights on more then one occasion. IC is IC, but after my five dangers are farmed, I'd rather just avoid the personal risk of engaging with antagonists in the wilds. There isn't much to gain from it on my side of things. I'd like to think I'm not the only other person discouraged in this way. It's an RP game, but I can't say it's a fulfilling experience at the end of a danger when the other person undermines your win like has happened in nearly every necro / witch encounter.

I think that there's probably better systems to encourage antagonists to push conflict, that's more satisfying to watch play out for both sides.

RE: Antagonist Resource Systems - MuscleWizzard - 09-30-2022

Quote: IC is IC, but after my five dangers are farmed, I'd rather just avoid the personal risk of engaging with antagonists in the wilds

Aren't you also just trying to reap the rewards of danger farming with this statement alone? Personal risk is what antags take to push the world state forward instead of allowing things to stagnate, even after they've already done their dangers for a token. If they're writing extra stuff in an rp, perhaps that is to encourage a plot hook for you to follow up on. 

Sometimes people need others to latch onto so that they have reason to keep their own stories moving. Rewarding antags for boxing people is fine, especially when you can just injure people instead of having to outright slay them. This allows conflict to bloom, which in turn can give good protags a reason to exist alongside their enemies.

Also antags carry the risk of just dying outright should they get captured. There is no trading or bargaining or backup in most cases.

RE: Antagonist Resource Systems - Raihex - 09-30-2022

Huh...

RE: Antagonist Resource Systems - CuriousCat - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 04:20 AM)Ori Wrote: I don't really like how witches / necromancers are rewarded for every danger they participate in. I can tell it's meant to incentivize them to seek out conflict, but at the same time...

A) It means that there's often very little to gain from fighting them on the other side of things

B) If you don't perm them, it's technically a "win" for the witch / necromancer, of which they will be certain to remind you of in their lose RP. 

Of course this is a roleplaying game, but, I can't lie and say that it hasn't kept me from getting involved in fights on more then one occasion. IC is IC, but after my five dangers are farmed, I'd rather just avoid the personal risk of engaging with antagonists in the wilds. There isn't much to gain from it on my side of things. I'd like to think I'm not the only other person discouraged in this way. It's an RP game, but I can't say it's a fulfilling experience at the end of a danger when the other person undermines your win like has happened in nearly every necro / witch encounter.

I think that there's probably better systems to encourage antagonists to push conflict, that's more satisfying to watch play out for both sides.

Firstly the thought that disengaging in conflict due to having hit the benchmark of five dangers, is inherently an OOC one. I personally can't condone that sort of thought process, the world is intended to have a consistent level of conflict. 

Secondly the witch hyperbole has got to stop, it's frankly unfair to spew misfortune's own propaganda.

Thirdly to elaborate - Necromancers earn quite literally fuck all from winning, or losing a danger. A necromancer has to successfully inflict a permanent injury on a foe to gain undeath, or harvest a corpse. (These require winning, and high stake battles and good RNG.)

RE: Antagonist Resource Systems - Chance - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 04:20 AM)Ori Wrote: I think that there's probably better systems to encourage antagonists to push conflict, that's more satisfying to watch play out for both sides.

I'm open to hearing it, if you have suggestions.

The way Necromancy works is that the Necromancer is effectively reliant on their Undead to amass Undeath. Much like Essence and Faith, this form of unique mana can be used for more than the class mechanics (for rituals, world events, unique goals, etc).

Necromancers can also accrue Undeath by harvesting corpses, which can encourage backroom deals / politics / etc.

RE: Antagonist Resource Systems - Milly - 09-30-2022

At least they don't inflict unhealable 5 day temps.

RE: Antagonist Resource Systems - Raihex - 09-30-2022

I'm becoming a vampire.

RE: Antagonist Resource Systems - Ori - 09-30-2022

(09-30-2022, 04:26 AM)MuscleWizzard Wrote:
Quote: IC is IC, but after my five dangers are farmed, I'd rather just avoid the personal risk of engaging with antagonists in the wilds

Aren't you also just trying to reap the rewards of danger farming with this statement alone? Personal risk is what antags take to push the world state forward instead of allowing things to stagnate, even after they've already done their dangers for a token. If they're writing extra stuff in an rp, perhaps that is to encourage a plot hook for you to follow up on. 

Sometimes people need others to latch onto so that they have reason to keep their own stories moving. Rewarding antags for boxing people is fine, especially when you can just injure people instead of having to outright slay them. This allows conflict to bloom, which in turn can give good protags a reason to exist alongside their enemies.

Also antags carry the risk of just dying outright should they get captured. There is no trading or bargaining or backup in most cases.

I don't farm dangers, I never have, tbh. I don't think I've ever provoked a danger once. I'll admit I used some dumb wording but, it was just to mention the mechanical gain on fighting with them. This is an RP game, yeah, but you can't really say that the mechanical aspects of things doesn't matter. Otherwise we'd be playing a freeform game with no mechanics.

Pretty much every encounter in the wild, barring characters with history, are danger 0 fights. It's the default, and probably because it's not a fun idea to end a character's life based on losing a cap to a bandit that they're having their first interaction with.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a system to encourage antags to go out and fight, it's just not all that satisfying when every fight ends with them spending half their RP talking about how they're the actual winner because they got one point of skeleton juice or whatever.

RE: Antagonist Resource Systems - Dreamspeaker - 09-30-2022

>no antags in the game
"nothing to do, this game empty and sucks"

>there are antags now that are supported by mechanics
"why are there antags wtf"

???????

That aside, while Witchcraft & Necromancy are both more rewarding classes than Faith, you have to seek out constant danger (which might end up with you dying) and thus engage with the server. In the meantime, as Faith player, you can just spam prayers on everyone, grind faith points and reach highest tier without any risk whatsoever.

I don't think anyone would enjoy it (or think that it's fair) if Witches/ Necromancers could consistently get their class resource out of nowhere.

RE: Antagonist Resource Systems - Lammy - 09-30-2022

Hey.

As a person who is playing a witch right now, I don't danger randomly and only fight those that are actually apart of a certain faction, simply because it puts a plot to pursue for others. But there was one line that bothered me the most that makes me violently anger.

You explicably said you farmed 5 dangers for your second hidden token.
You are what's wrong with the game.
This sentence alone tells me that you do not care for the story but to gain the power needed to not be messed with at all.

There are -no- fun out there for those that do it and I think this mentality should be addressed with others.

[Image: hello.png]