BerylFlintInjury Formatting Guide
Hello! This is a Quick and Simple Guide about Injury Formatting, an often unknown facet about how the injury system works. This guide will only go into depth about formatting injuries, not the content of them (Albeit all medics have some horror stories there). Throughout much of my medic writing time throughout Meranthe/Eternia, I’ve seen… a lot of badly formatted temps and perms, but I do not blame that on the people themselves, but a lack of knowledge and resources to teach such. Hopefully this will help.
Bump
We’ll start with the most important thing of all. The Injury Prompt Box.
Bump
Injury Prompt Box
BuBymmp
We all know this box, it's the one that pops up when you win a battle or apply a trauma kit to a permanent injury. But there is something very, very important that you must know that many do not.
Bump
The spaces you put in the box do not save.
Bump
For example here is a Test Injury Description, manually spaced.
[Image: F3mSM7u.png]
Bump
And here is the resulting descriptor if someone was to /injurysearch it.
[Image: quoloYn.png]
Bump
As you can see, there is a clear difference in how they come out. One is a bunch of separated sentences, and the other is a blob of text that is hard to read and jumbled together. In longer injury descriptions this can leave you looking at a literal wall of text without any formatting, which can be difficult to parse efficiently. This applies to all injuries, be it perms or temps.
Bump
Now, how do we fix this?
Bump
HTML Tags.

The Injury box accepts and uses HTML tabs (I assume because they’re just windows of IE, or so on), which if not just adding spacing, allows us to do some quite interesting things! But most importantly, the two tags you will be using the most for spacing are <p> and <br>
Bump
We’ll start with <br>. <br> stands for a ‘Line Break Element’, or simply, a break in text. It works like this. First we’ll start with a sentence without <br>

Quote:
This is an example sentence. There are two separated parts to the sentence.

Bump
Now we’ll add one <br>
Bump

Quote:
This is an example sentence. <br> There are two separated parts to the sentence.

Which would come out in an injury search as:
Quote:
This is an example sentence.
There are two separated parts to the sentence.

If you want a full paragraph wide separation, you will need <br><br>. But in that case….
Bump
The next command we will be talking about is <p>. As you can imagine, it means ‘paragraph’. This is the one I usually use, as it's simple and efficient. We’ll use the same example sentence.
bump

Quote:
This is an example sentence.<p>There are two separated parts to the sentence.

Bump
Would come out too.
Bump
Quote:
This is an example sentence.
Bump
There are two separated parts to the sentence.
Bump
It is as simple as that. Either use <br><br> or <p> for spacing. And please, do use them!
Bump

Okay, well, we have basic spacing down now. What else? Well, the box accepts most html tags and formatting, so… A Lot! I’ll go over some simple ones.
Bump
Bold: To Bold a line a text, use <b>x</b>, text where x is. Remember to cut it off or the rest of the description will be bolded.
Italics: To Italic a line of text, use <i>x</i>. The same as bold.
Underline: To underline a line of text, use <u>x</u>
Big: To make something big, Use <big>x</big>
Small: To make something small, use <small>x</small>
Center: <center>x</center>
Different Colored Title?: (<font color="#HEXHERE">Injury Title</font>) (Hex here being your color hex-code of choice.)
Bump
And so on, there are more working tags such as font and so on. Do be careful though! If it doesn't work in your average RP box, it's probably not going to work in the injury prompt, but not always. Some HTML tags totally work in the injury prompt, but not in the RP box. Still, there are some that will, so you too can make those special colored injuries. Regardless, I was recommended this html code editor: https://htmlcodeeditor.com/And it seems to work quite well for previewing.
Bump
That is all for this guide, just a simple descriptor and summarization of injury formatting, use them well, and do use them! Especially for perms, its nice to have a well-formatted reminder of what happened, rather than a... less than suitable blob of text you hate to look at.
Bump
Send me funny special tag usages and maybe there will be a part two.
Topic Options