InThePooPooThe Scribblings of a Distraught Mother

[Image: tumblr_mysyawMseq1srothro1_640.jpg]
A letter, dated and named to the writer's parents in 1719. Never sent out.
-
You were right. Marrying into this family was a mistake.
-
 As in love as I was with my husband, there is no escaping that wretched mother of his. She always gets what she wants. From controlling how I dress for her son, all the way to where we live and how we live there. Today, however, she has gone too far. You may not have even yet received the letter I sent out a week ago in regards to the birth of my child. Strike everything I told you about my hopes and dreams for the future, for that conniving witch from Messaris has dashed them. In the days following her birth, we received threats in the form of slain livestock and horse heads at our doorstep, demanding we relinquish our baby. 
-

They never said to whom, but I know better than to believe it was anyone other than my dear mother-in-law.
-
Despite my begging, Hendrick had remained utterly silent through this. I had my suspicions that he was intent on giving his mother what she wanted, and I was correct. This morning, when I awoke and left my chambers I found my darling baby girl's crib empty. She was nowhere to be found, nor was her wretch of a father... when he returned, after weathering through my tears, I demanded an explanation. None were offered to me, except for a statement of 
-
"I had to choose. Her or you." 
-
He gave her up like nothing. The fear in his voice harrowed me to my core. It was then I knew for sure that this was his mother's doing. She took my Nicoletta from me, and with it, the majority of my soul. 
-
I want to come home. I'm packing my bags now, and I will send this letter ahead of myself in the post - I hope it reaches you before I do. I'd never want this to be a surprise, especially not after the way I disrespected and disobeyed the both of you by leaving with him. He promised me the world, but failed to mention he'd allow it to be taken immediately after.
-
I fear my life will be endangered if she finds out I've left. I hope it does not come back to either of you in the end. 
-
The signature on the page is illegible, splattered with spilled ink.
[Image: Charles-Burchfield-Abandoned-Farmhouse.JPG]

MURDER-SUICIDE at SNOWBERRY RANCH!
January 11, AC1720

A horrific tale coming from the peaceful farming village of Messaris!

The body of a local farmer's wife was found partially decomposed in her bedroom this afternoon by the Authorities after alchemist merchants associated with the farm were reporting they hadn't received their monthly shipment of reagents from Snowberry. Not far away was the body of her husband, identified to be the owner of the ranch by their business partners, one Hendrick C. Hargrave, a prolific farmer and businessman. 

Investigators concluded that Hargrave bludgeoned his wife with a trowel, and then proceeded to take his own life via hanging. Upon further questioning, friends of the family said that they seemed rather happy, and had recently birthed a child. The child has not been found as of this article's writing, and the authorities have declined to comment on whether or not they will continue searching for it as they seem to have hit a dead end.

The local constable has released a possible description of the missing toddler, and if you have any information that may possibly lead to its safe retrieval you are urged to come forward if you can.

Topic Options