HealsFirst Encounter Cap Kills - A Novel.
There are plenty of ways to get around "b- but it's my IC to kill!"

You, OOCly, are not controlled by your character. You can say "it's my IC to kill, so my character makes a "fatal" blow on yours but your character can recover from it". People have done this before to varying results, but I generally find things like that to be a net positive to the overall game. If your character thinks they're dead, they can return later, stronger, and give you a better fight. Maybe even a continued antagonist for your character. This creates more RP. You can complain this is "lame" or "boring" all you want, but in the end you can build up a better villain for your character to fight this way.

What does killing a character, especially one that yours doesn't really know, do? Well... not much. You get a "cool" scene where you kill someone, and they have to go make a new character. I guess it also means you don't have to risk fighting them and possibly losing to them later... which might mean your character would die, and we wouldn't want that!

Sure, it's "part of the game", but it's demoralizing and discouraging. Everyone complains that no one roams around cashing trouble, and it's probably because of things like this. The Caritas kill was not good. It did nothing except end an up and coming antagonist that roamed around attacking people. There was barely any RP about it.

Signing up to fight in a raid is different, but honestly part of why I don't really like raids.

If it was up to me alone, I would say all kills need to be ahelped and judged by an admin as acceptable before they're allowed to go through. Is this too strict? Probably. But the main thing that keeps people from taking risks and being villains is losing a character that they are attached to and enjoy playing. Remove the risk of a "bad" death and people would probably be more villainous. I think it'd be an interesting experiment, at least.

In general, death in this game tends to result in a net loss of RP. I'm not saying characters should never be killed, but kills should have meaning and weight to them rather than "lol it happens!"
+1 (aside from requirement to ahelp kills)
but overall should be a noteworthy guideline for protag/antag encounters
if you agree with everything else why not huh? who is going to stop people from bad decisions if not me?

that being said, i would like to tell a story of mine, an anecdote if you will, to REALLY drive the point home. ahem.

i have a friend who uses f-list. i know, terrible. this friend sometimes likes to bring me the worst, most bizarre fetishes they find, so we can laugh. that is how i came across the Homestuck Dickvore Guy. he was a fan character from the series homestuck (i think it's a web comic? idk). his special power was that he could eat anything with his dick no matter how big or small they might be. enemies, other people, he could eat anything with his dick and turn it into power. he had a prompt that he wanted people to roleplay with him: his generous offer was that you would get to rp the enemies he ate with his dick to gain power. obviously you couldn't roleplay a real, fleshed out character, because this is vore roleplay so your character would just die and that'd be it. so instead, you could just rp the many imps that he would eat with his dick to power up. that's it. you got to roleplay the imps that would be eaten by his penis to give him power.

that's what you're doing when you first encounter kill.

tl;dr: no one wants to rp as the imp that gets eaten by your dick
what the fuck vriska
im sorry but I couldn't make it through each line without cracking up and I suddenly fear this homestuck dickvore guy.
as always, love ya vrisk

I wouldn't wanna waste admin time for the few irresponsible people to cap-kill on first encounter on the spot. these victims, we should inform them and educate them to not be afraid to hit that ahelp button on the spot of a questionable act on first encounter caps

(where can I find this comic)
holy fucking shit vriska
There have been suggestions in the past to help prevent 1st encounter kills, but they were shot down because, and I qoute here: "Take away a player's agency".

Thing is, such a comment focuses on the winner, and ignores the loser and would be victim of 1st encounter kill.

The killing of a player's character, is ultimate form of taking away his player agency.

So, please, lets focus less on how it'll affect the player agancy of the winner, and instead focus on how to balance it, for both sides.
I understand this thread is on first encounter cap kills, but the way I see it: You might as well expect to die once captured in general. It's not certain, yeah. But it's the most likely thing to happen, even if not at that very moment, perhaps your character will be taken to some sort of prison only to die later. When you engage a character in a fight where there's a cap roll, you know that there's a chance that you'll lose your character, it's like a tacit agreement in a sense. If you're going to be upset about your character dying after an RPB, you might as well try and get a cap 0. I'd also like to add that in the case when I did kill Caritas as Kieran during a first encounter, I asked them oocly which cap roll they'd like and their player replied something along the lines of 'whatever you want.' Which means either they expected to get a freeby escape via trying to hex should they be capped, or they were ready for the worst.

In my time of playing the Eternia series (Almost two years now) there's only been one time where my character has been captured and actually ended up surviving, and that was only because someone had come to intervene and it would've been a hassle for the one who captured my character to fight them. Death in rp is a thing, it happens and I agree, it can suck. I don't complain about it though, I either shrug it off and make a new character, or I take a break and make a new character.

With that being said, I do agree that first encounter kills suck, though I'm an... offender of this, and I will try to restrain from it going forward. Perhaps a rule can be imposed where during a first encounter, either player can demand a cap 0 should they wish.
AH - ok so just to be clear first encounter kills are apart of immersion to - when things like this happen, because let's be honest... When people die randomly it's apart of real battle I mean it sucks and everything but it's good for other characters' development as well.

Soma's death to elevens ( yeah first encounter death) But in that case, if you were to get capped at that point one of you were going to have to die I think - no I mean it's fair because if I were to cap him? I wouldn't have killed him but putting him in prison is the same fate so that is justified.

- I think maybe caps outside of the city aka the forest or desert, should be escape-able at least for the first encounter - then afterward if you get caught by the same person in the same ic year in the same place.... then - yeah you can die.
yeah i expect realistic consequences in my anime game where everyone can do magic and i can replace my torn out eye with a fully functional cybernetic-- sorry, mythril one. my development from this murder is a log for my hidden application and the removal of someone who might have otherwise killed ME, a main character

you're basically just the homestuck dickvore guy
Topic Options