TattlesThe Menagerie

In the clearing of the meadow stood a tall hill, one inlaid with stony steps for those who wished to reach the top by climb. Upon the crest the girl sat on a quilt, holding close to her very dear, good friend. Her companion, a long and winding thing, coiled lazily about her abdomen, its scales smooth to the touch and its eyes unblinking and dark. Its tongue flicked out when it spoke and every now and then she could see those teeth which sat within its mouth.

“Serpent,” said the girl, “Are the others coming?” she asked.

The serpent turned its head and slowly shook it, knowing the truth of the matter, that despite the array of food and candies the girl put out across their resting spot, their previously invited guests were unlikely to arrive.

The girl looked down, her expression souring. She tugged at a loose thread that was fraying at the edge of the picnic blanket. She had invited so many others. She wanted to ask a thousand questions, she wanted to know why they had ignored her, why they had left her all alone. The girl’s fists took up some of the cloth and balled it up, but the serpent’s tail found itself resting upon the back of her pale hand, its touch cold, its presence soothing to the girl.

“You are not alone, for you have me.” the serpent hissed.

The girl brought her arms around the serpent and laid back, now staring up at the sunny sky littered with clouds.

“Will I always have you, serpent?” she asked.

The serpent let her hold its body while its head arched upward, its eyes now turned to the very same sky she was viewing.

“Yes, girl,” it said, “You and I will never be apart.”

[Image: original.jpg]
Topic Options