Chronicles of Eternia
Spell Balance Suggestions - Printable Version

+- Chronicles of Eternia (https://chronicles-of-eternia.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://chronicles-of-eternia.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://chronicles-of-eternia.com/forum/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Spell Balance Suggestions (/thread-585.html)

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - Oyster. - 08-14-2022

'it's not bad, other stuff has just gotten better' still means it's bad. it's not free, it costs a large amount, and has a hidden cost of making getting the intermediates more expensive as well.

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - Cotillion - 08-14-2022

There's a lot of openers that could do with love, this one is still far better than the openers in other trees. That said, I don't see why the only public toggle in the game that can only improve your build and effectiveness should be made cheaper. That's ludicrous, if you're unable to afford to reach the intermediates that's a mathematical error on your end. The pricing of the toggle was deliberately raised in the past to make it less appetising as a dip.

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - Oyster. - 08-14-2022

Anyway

make whims intermediate and strip it from ppl that dipped so they're forced to rebirth pot

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - Chance - 08-14-2022

(08-14-2022, 08:18 AM)Oyster. Wrote: Anyway

make whims intermediate and strip it from ppl that dipped so they're forced to rebirth pot

I like winds as a basic, but I can tone down the damage for sure. We'll be doing a spell balance pass once Ignite/Flashbeam are good

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - KaneRage - 08-14-2022

Spell: Natures Command
Suggestion: Make vines slower and attack less often. Or reduce the amount of damage it does over time. As of right now, it's impossible to avoid or kill the vines (which can be resummoned right away.) they move almost at running speed AND have a dash animation making it difficult to avoid them so they stick to your character and do lots of damage over time alongside other nature spells. Apart of the larger issue with sustain stacking is that they get access to a large pool of damaging spells as well.

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - Powerjake - 08-15-2022

Spell: Drain Life (Occult)

Suggestion: Make it heal?
I literally have no idea what it does. The spell does like 1000-1500 damage, then some red magic absorbs into my character. I don't get healed, nothing happens. I don't know what the spell is supposed to do, it seems to not be working or something. Or if i'm missing something here please let me know.

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - ratqueen - 08-15-2022

Spell: Boom Burst

Suggestion: make it feel a bit more like an intermediate; atm it's identical to shockwave in style of skill, damage, and cooldown, but with a shorter range and no knockback despite being in a generally weaker tree. my own suggestion is to increase the range slightly to match shockwave and possibly add a short confuse or slow to it (the latter might make more sense since its partner spell, sound burst, is a slow)

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - Kiha - 08-15-2022

(08-12-2022, 04:00 PM)Kiha Wrote:
Whims of Wind is the homing wave that appears from behind you I think, and with that in mind, I want to point out a huge discrepancy in cooldown to damage ratio...

For the sake of fairness I'll compare it to explosion, which has been considered a pretty powerful tree for a while now, lightning, which is a big dps tree, and even fire which is, well, it's fire, I don't really need to say more than that.

Exhibit A (it also creates lingering obstacles)

[Image: 8bf8b265b7e03b72ed5267c9600fcddd.png]

Exhibit B (Shockwave, an intermediate spell in the same tree, and not a homing spell)

[Image: dbfdbb0e0e1e515d428540f1462af2fe.png]

Exhibit C ( boom boom spell )

[Image: cb93dd54c00f361fc9b7df7a65e9ae95.png]

Exhibit D

[Image: 989210b729afdaf510792d103b770e79.png]

Exhibit E 

[Image: f236cafb50b14ba6557dff05e2fe916c.png]

After getting to see Whims without frantically running to avoid tornados and things at the same time, I think it's range is the biggest problem, it spans 80% of the RPB square as well, with double the range of notoriously long range homings like Bang. The damage was a bit much, but I think the range is what is causing it to seem so unbalanced to people on the receiving end of it.

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - Avee - 08-15-2022

(08-15-2022, 02:15 PM)ratqueen Wrote: Spell: Boom Burst

Suggestion: make it feel a bit more like an intermediate; atm it's identical to shockwave in style of skill, damage, and cooldown, but with a shorter range and no knockback despite being in a generally weaker tree. my own suggestion is to increase the range slightly to match shockwave and possibly add a short confuse or slow to it (the latter might make more sense since its partner spell, sound burst, is a slow)

My beef with boom burst is that the name is selling something that isn't there, when I think of boom burst I'm thinking of some implosion explosion shit, feel me? A boom, and a burst, not a sound magi lazily passing gas that does damage based purely on how much they drank before last night's concert.

Here's what I got for you.

Spell : Boom Burst

The spell is cast, an ascending note plays, the user gains a charging animation. This charging animation lasts for a preset period of time. 

Notes from the aura should be shooting off all over the god damn place like a twenty-something lawyers son in an ivy league school who brought a briefcase of singles into a fucking budget stripclub, im talking about making it fucking RAIN musical notes.

A motherfucker should KNOW shits about to go down, they should be trying to GET THE FUCK OUT of your dope as fuck guitar solo zone.

Then the bass drops (descending) note.

All fucking hell breaks loose. I'm talking the cat shits itself trying to break through the window to get the fuck out of your room levels of breaks loose. That's when you get your increased range, damage, and limited confuse, but only in one direction like a massive fucking Instabeam, I'm talking powersmash particle effects with musical notes galore.

Idk like a 3x5 in front of the caster.

A motherfucker should KNOW his ass just got fucking toasted.

Because the poor fuck who was trying to desperately avoid your fucking mad DJ skills is so fucking blown away at the sheer audacity you had to do such a thing. That you had the sheer testicular fucking fortitude to even attempt such a move.

You broke his fucking will with the power of music, and tomorrow he will need to ask himself if it was really worth it to stand front stage at YOUR fucking concert without hearing protection.

Or maybe I haven't gotten enough sleep today who knows.

Damage can be whatever.

RE: Spell Balance Suggestions - Detective100 - 08-15-2022

(08-15-2022, 03:09 PM)Avee Wrote:
(08-15-2022, 02:15 PM)ratqueen Wrote: Spell: Boom Burst

Suggestion

I'll like to post an alternate suggestion to the boom burst spell from sound.

Taking a cue from the racial spell AETHER FLASH that puts you in a charge state and lets you cast the spell either at full charge or mid charge, do the same to Boom Burst.

The longer the charge, the bigger the AoE and damage. Perhaps even add a confusion or slow CC depending on how much it was charged (ideally max charge?)
That's my thought about it, anyway. Ramping up and then... BOOM! One big loud note!